Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes
- Extremely durable yet flexible material
- Extremely conductive to electricity
- Excellent conductor of thermal energy
- Extremely lightweight with a higher aspect ratio
- Ideal for replacement of conventional semiconductors and silicon components in electronics
Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes (MWCNTs) are unique materials made of several layers of graphene sheets rolled into tube shapes. This easy-to-understand guide will explain how to spread MWCNTs evenly, their structure, and their special features. This includes their strength, ability to carry electricity, interaction with light, and how they handle heat.
Specification and Description of Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes
Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes (MWCNTs) is nothing but multiple graphene layers rolled up into hollow concentric tubes. It is a one-dimensional by-product of graphene and an allotrope of carbon with sp2-hybridized carbon bonds. The single walled carbon nanotubes (SWCNT) is a single layer of graphene sheet rolled up to form a tube-like structure. The difference between SWCNT and Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes is that MWCNT has multiple layers of walls combined. A variant of the same is double-walled carbon nanotubes which have only two walls. However, the MWCNTs can have approximately 3 to 20 or more, whereas its diameter is nearly 30 nm, which is much more than the typical SWCNT. Typically, Chemical vapor deposition (CVD) is the method to obtain the product. However, MWCNT is available mainly in powder form.
It has excellent thermal and electrical resistivity than the single walled carbon nanotubes and double-walled carbon nanotubes. Besides, there are more possibilities of defects in nanotubes structures due to the reoccurring walls. The exterior walls of Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes can be customizable. It can be formed from the functionalized groups such as hydroxides, carboxylic acids, or amines.
Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes are easy to produce in higher quantities and are simple to purify than the other forms of carbon nanotubes. Therefore, it is usually cheaper than SWCNT and DWCNT. Although comparatively, it has almost the same capacity in performance, it is usually most useful in making composites of different kinds such as nylon, ceramics, plastics, polymers, and much more.
The product available at our company is a high-quality product at a relatively low and affordable cost. It is blackish grey with a purity of 99%. We offer the number of layers from 4 to 8 and its diameter from 5 to 20 nanometer. It comes at a variable pack size from which the clients can choose. Typically, the product is in powder form; however, we also sell it in disperse form if the client demands. We also sell the solvents and surfactants that the clients may require for the experiments.
MWCNTs possess remarkable properties such as exceptional strength, efficient transportation of electricity, and fascinating interactions with light. These characteristics result from their small size and distinctive structure, making MWCNTs highly useful in various fields.
- Electrical Conduction – Electrically, MWCNT is highly conductive. It acts as a conductor or, in many cases, acts as a semiconductor.
- Thermal Conductivity – The Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes exhibit excellent thermal conductivity. At room temperature, the thermal conductivity of MWCNT is approximately 0.35 W/mK.
- Tensile Strength – The product exhibits exceptional tensile strength of 0.15 tpa. Studies prove that it can take weights about 60 to 80 times more of its size.
- Optical Transparency – On a single layer of CNT, it appears to be optically transparent. This can be useful in applications such as carbon fiber coatings.
- Stiffness – It exhibits excellent stiffness. Researches prove that Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes can be stiffer than steel.
- Toughness – Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes are one of the most rigid materials. It is tougher than diamond and yet so flexible to use.
- Morphology – The product has a very high aspect ratio. Recent studies show that MWCNT can have an aspect ratio of 2500:1
- Mechanical Properties: MWCNTs are very strong and stiff, yet also flexible. They are stronger than steel and don't weigh much, which makes them great for making materials stronger and lighter at the same time.
- Electrical Properties: MWCNTs are great at carrying electricity. Depending on how they are built, they can act like wires, semiconductors, or even insulators. This makes them very useful for electronics, storing energy, and making sensors.
- Optical Properties: MWCNTs have unique ways of dealing with light. They can absorb and give off light in the spectrum's visible, infrared, and ultraviolet parts. This means they can be used in devices that deal with light, like solar cells and sensors.
- Thermal Properties: MWCNTs are good at handling the heat. They can carry heat away quickly and stay strong even at high temperatures. This makes them great for keeping electronics cool and working well in hot conditions.
Applications of Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes
- Conductive polymers composites – The product has a flexible application of combining its properties with non-conducting polymers. This increases the strength as well as makes them semiconductive or conductive material. Since most polymers are lightweight and the product itself is light, the composite becomes a strong and effective by-product. It can be useful for various applications such as conductive plastics, ceramics, and much more.
- Battery Cathodes – MWCNT works effectively as battery cathodes for rechargeable batteries. The charging rate of the battery is faster, and that of draining is comparatively lower. This makes it easier to manufacture batteries that give better performance. Similarly, it is also useful for solar cells and batteries a well.
- Structural Composites – Since the product makes composites stronger, it is useful in manufacturing and developing various composites required in construction, furniture, automobile parts, safety gears, and much more.
- Filtration and purification – One of the renowned applications of carbon nanotubes is that of purification and filtration. Often manufacturers use the MWCNTs in water filters and purification machines or plants. The structure of the product restricts the various kinds of impurities in the water. However, the water molecules travel through it, thus giving clean water.
- Conductive inks – Conductive inks have proven to have great potential in many applications. From screen printing to designing circuit boards on a non-conductive base, it has many great applications.
- Conductive Coatings – The product suits best for prosthetic parts in the field of biomedical. It is useful in anti-fouling coatings for automobiles and ships.
- Wearable gadgets – With new trends in technology, there is a notable reduction in gadgets size. This is possible because of the replacement of capacitors and transistors by chips and CNTs.
- Textiles and Fabrics – MWCNT is useful in many of the applications in the textile industry. A composition of nylon and carbon nanotubes makes a sustainable fabric. Moreover, it helps make armors and bulletproof vests.
- Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes are a carbon product and can be lethal if it enters the body through wrong mediums. While it is useful for many medical applications, it can prove dangerous if it reaches the system through ingestion or inhalation.
- Researchers should make sure to wear gloves, goggles, masks, and PPE kits while handling the product. It should also take care that the working area should have proper ventilation and lights.
- What to do when researchers are exposed to the product directly? There are rare chances of exposing oneself to the product if the safety gear is on correctly. However, if the client accidentally encounters the product, he/ she should follow the instructions below:
- If the client inhales the product, immediately move out to open air space and breathe briskly. Focus on exhaling briskly. Then rush to the hospital to get treatment. Neglecting medical aid may lead to grievous diseases like cancer, asthma, etc.
- If the client ingests the product by mistake, it must wash their mouth with clean water and remove the product as much as possible. After this, seek medical advice to ensure that the product flushes out of the system as soon as possible.
- If the product encounters the eyes, rush to wash the eyes with clean and cool water. Make sure there is no residue product on the hands. Seek medical aid if necessary.
- While disposing of the product, researchers should follow the guidelines adorned by the government.
- While cleaning the spilled product, researchers must use a wet or damp cloth to avoid scattering the product.
- Please note that the product is for industrial or research and development purposes only. We condemn abusing the product.
- The product can prove fatal hence we advise keeping it out of reach of children below 13. If necessary, children are performing experiments on the product under expert supervision only.
Spreading MWCNTs is essential to maximize their unique features in different uses. Dispersion means spreading MWCNTs evenly in a substance, like a liquid or a plastic material. We can use sound waves, add chemical groups to the nanotubes, or mix in surfactants or dispersants to do this.
Structure of Carbon Nanotubes:
MWCNTs are made of many layers of graphene, which are rolled into a tube shape. Graphene is a thin sheet of carbon atoms forming a pattern like a honeycomb. MWCNTs can be as small as 2 nanometers across or as wide as 100 nanometers. They can also be different lengths, from a few hundred nanometers to several thousand nanometers long.
Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes (MWNTs) are unique materials with many great features but also have some challenges. This simple and easy-to-understand summary will explain the main difficulties faced by MWNTs.
- Dispersion: Spreading MWNTs evenly in different substances can be challenging. They tend to stick together, which makes it difficult to get a uniform mixture. This can reduce the benefits of using MWCNTs in specific applications.
- Production: Making high-quality MWNTs can be tricky and expensive. Controlling their size, shape, and number of layers is difficult, affecting their properties and usefulness in different applications.
- Safety Concerns: There are concerns about using MWNTs, especially when inhaling tiny particles. More research is required to understand how all these particles might affect our health and how to handle them safely.
- Environmental Impact: As with any new material, the long-term environmental effects of MWNTs need to be better understood. It's essential to study how they affect ecosystems and find ways to reduce any negative impacts.
- Integration: Integrating MWNTs into existing technologies and processes can be challenging. It may require changes to current methods and the development of new techniques, which can be time-consuming and costly.
Characterizing Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes (MWNTs) is essential to ensure their quality and understand their properties. This simple, easy-to-understand summary will explain fundamental techniques for analyzing MWNTs, such as Raman and optical absorbance spectroscopy.
- Quality Assurance Parameters: To ensure the quality of MWNTs, it is important to check several parameters, including their purity, size, shape, number of layers, and the presence of defects. These factors can affect MWNTs' properties and performance in various applications.
- Analysis by Raman Spectroscopy: Raman spectroscopy is a powerful method for studying MWNTs. It uses laser light to analyze how the nanotubes vibrate, sing information about their structure, number of layers, and defects. By examining the patterns in the Raman spectrum, researchers can gain valuable insights into the quality and properties of MWNTs.
- Analysis by Optical Absorbance Spectroscopy: Optical absorbance spectroscopy is another technique used to study MWNTs. This method measures how much light the nanotubes absorb at different wavelengths. By analyzing the absorbance spectrum, we can learn about the electronic structure of MWNTs, diameter, and other properties.
Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA) is helpful in studying Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes' thermal properties and stability (MWNTs). This simple and easy-to-understand summary will explain how TGA is applied to MWNTs and the information it provides.
What is Thermogravimetric Analysis?
TGA measures the change in weight of a sample as its temperature changes. The sample is placed on a sensitive balance inside a furnace, then heated or cooled at a controlled rate. The balance records any weight loss or gains in the sample due to temperature changes.
TGA for Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes:
TGA is used to study the thermal properties of MWNTs by observing their weight changes at different temperatures. This helps researchers understand the material's stability, purity, and the presence of any impurities or functional groups.
Critical Insights from TGA of MWNTs:
- Thermal Stability: TGA can reveal the temperature range over which MWNTs remain stable before decomposing. This information is essential for determining suitable applications and operating conditions for MWNTs.
- Purity: TGA can help determine the purity of MWNTs by analyzing the weight loss at specific temperature ranges. The presence of impurities or residual catalyst particles will cause weight changes, indicating a lower purity level.
- Functional Groups: TGA can also detect the presence of functional groups or other chemical modifications on the surface of MWNTs. These groups may affect the properties and potential applications of the material.
In conclusion, Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes hold great promise in many fields due to their unique properties. By addressing challenges and advancing our knowledge in areas such as metrology, selectivity, dispersion, and manufacturing processes, we can harness the full potential of MWNTs and revolutionize a wide range of applications in science and technology.
- Metrology and Quality Control: Developing reliable and accurate measurement techniques is essential for ensuring the quality of MWNTs. As we refine methods such as Raman spectroscopy, optical absorbance spectroscopy, and thermogravimetric analysis, we can better understand MWNTs' properties, leading to higher-quality products and more practical applications.
- Improved Selectivity: Improving the selectivity in the synthesis of MWNTs will enable us to produce nanotubes with specific properties tailored for different applications. By controlling factors like diameter, length, and the number of layers, we can enhance the performance of MWNTs in various industries, from electronics to composite materials.
- Dispersion: Overcoming the challenge of achieving uniform dispersion of MWNTs in different media is crucial for unlocking their full potential. Developing advanced techniques and dispersants will help ensure even distribution, leading to better performance and more efficient use of MWNTs in applications such as polymer composites and coatings.
- Scale-up of Manufacturing Processes: Scaling up the production of MWNTs while maintaining quality and consistency is essential for their widespread use in various industries. Developing efficient, cost-effective, and environmentally friendly manufacturing processes will allow for greater availability and affordability of these remarkable materials.
Why Choose Us?
We are one of the leading companies of its kind in the chemical industry. We thrive on excellence and take pride that we provide what we promise. At Shilpa enterprises, we design, manufacture, and sell products required for research and development purposes and applications. We have an ISO 9001:2008 certification for maintaining the high-class quality of products that we sell. We perform rigorous testing on the Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes to keep and deliver high-quality products. Our team consists of experts and professionals having 10+ years of experience, and thus we certainly meet the client’s requirements. Moreover, we provide the facility of product customization, which is also available at quite reasonable and affordable prices.
3 other products in the same category: