• Strong material, even stronger than steel
• Fragile, yet very flexible material
• Completely transparent
• Excellent electrical conductors
• Extreme thermal conduction abilities
• Surprisingly flexible and lightweight
• Perfect replacement of conventional silicon conductors
Carbon nanotubes, abbreviated as CNTs, are one of the most robust materials available on earth. It has developed from graphene, an allotrope of Carbon. The structure of the product comprises hollow tubes of single-layer graphene. It has an sp2-bonded atomic-scale hexagon-like structure, which is the reason for the element to be strong. It is similar to the structure of fullerene. Herein, carbon atoms have a covalent bond to three other carbon atoms to form a structure. The diameter of the product ranges from 1 nm to 100-200 nanometers, and it can be infinite in length with an average size of 1000 nanometers. There are three ways to produce this product: arc discharge, laser ablation of graphite, and chemical vapor deposition (CVD). It has a weak dispersing ability in solvents such as water, as it has strong intermolecular p–p interactions.
Types Of Carbon Nanotubes
Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes (SWCNTs)
Single-walled carbon nanotubes are one-dimensional, which appear like regular hexagonal lattices. The diameter of SWCNTs ranges from 0.7 and 10 nm. It extends infinitely into a cylindrical hollow tube, is the strongest, most compatible, and possesses zero to about 2 eV bandgap, which is not available in MWCNTs.
Double Walled Carbon Nanotubes (DWCNT)
As the name suggests, the double-walled carbon nanotubes have a double-walled, one nested in another. It has a space of 0.36 nm between them, with an external diameter of 10 to 50 nm. This makes a varied degree of interaction between the two tubes. The advantage of the additional wall is that it alters the product feasibility while the core properties remain the same. Unlike SWCNTs, DWCNTs are compatible with solubility and functionality.
Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes
It is cylindrically shaped hollow tubes of graphene. Although it has multiple walls or layers, it is considered a one-dimensional product. The interlayer distance of the layers of the MWCNTs is 3.4 Å. The MWCNTs have a higher aspect ratio and are readily soluble. It has an outer diameter ranging from 2nm to 100nm. Its length varies from 0.5nm to 50 microns. The product has multiple walls of concentric CNTs, which is why it is not as strong as the SWCNTs and DWCNTs. It also affects the properties of electrical and thermal conduction.
There are two models to describe the MWCNTs. 1. The Russian doll model consists of sheets of graphene arranged in concentric cylinders. 2. The Parchment model consists of a single sheet of graphene rolled around itself, similar to a scroll of parchment or a rolled newspaper.
Carbon Nanotubes Properties
• It has a higher tensile strength, which is more than steel, diamond, and Kevlar.
• It has high electrical conductivity, which may vary for the different types of CNTs.
• It has a higher resistance to chemicals because of the Allotrope of sp2-hybridized Carbon.
• It is lightweight since it is made of graphene as its primary compound. However, the structure makes it strong, and hence it can sustain damages from higher physical forces.
• It has higher thermal conductivity (up to 600˚ C). Therefore, it is suitable for instruments or gadgets that heat up faster. It also acts as a remarkable insulator and creates a barrier, which does not let the devices heat up.
Applications Of Carbon Nanotubes
It is applied in gas sensors due to their sensitivity to H2, NO2, O2, or NH3, dielectrics, field-emission displays, and photovoltaic. It acts as a unique catalyst that supports chemical processes. Due to its immense strength, it is used in making bulletproof vests and armors, transmission line cables, stain-resistant fabrics, and many more.
Due to its excellent mechanical properties, it uses in wind turbines, marine paints, and composite polymers. Its applications include making energy powerhouses, field-effect transistors, batteries, solar cells, reusable batteries, electrical wires, and cables. Furthermore, it is helpful in biomedical processes such as Cancer Treatment, Hip Replacement, Gene Therapy, Tissue engineering, and drug delivery. Due to its lightweight, it uses in the development of parts of rockets, airplanes, vehicle bodies, tyres, handlebars, seats, aero bars, and coating of all types.
How To Use Carbon Nanotubes?
How to perform dispersion
• CNT powder
• Surfactants and ultrasonic probes
• For an aqueous solution, make use of sodium dodecyl benzene sulfonate as an ionic surfactant. Researchers can also use a non-ionic surfactant that has a higher molecular weight. Procedure
• Measure the CNT powder in a container according to the need of the experiment.
• Mix the solvent with the surfactant. Make sure that it ranges below the critical concentration of the surfactant.
• Pour the solution into the dry powder and mix well, then keep it in an ultrasonic probe.
• Improper activities tend to damage the nanotubes, which affects the average length.
• After this, researchers get a mixture of bundles of CNTs and suspended CNTs.
• If you want to break the bundles, use sonication.
• To separate the nanotubes from the bundles, place the solution in a centrifuge. As a result, researchers will get desirable nanotubes.
• If researchers want to disperse functional groups of CNTs, they can do it without any surfactants.
Safety Measures of Carbon Nanotubes
Caution: Highly reactive to the human body. Hazardous to health.
The nanoparticles can cause serious issues with the human body if they enter the internal organs.
• Do not inhale the product. If the product enters the windpipe, it can be lethal.
• Use respirators or masks while using the product to avoid any exposer.
• If the researcher inhales the product, they must rush out of the research lab to get fresh air.
• If the researcher is unconscious by accidental inhalation, perform mouth-to-mouth respiration. Rush them to the hospital immediately once they are conscious.
• Do not breathe from the mouth near the product. On accidentally ingests of the product, immediately gargle with clean water and rush to get professional help.
• The product can cause skin irritation. Use gloves while handling the product and the solvent chemicals. If it encounters skin, wash the area using soap and water.
• If the product accidentally encounters the eyes, splash water into the eyes with clean (product-free) hands.
• Keep it in a cool, dry place. Avoid exposure of the product to sunlight.
Why Choose Us
We are a renowned company for more than one reason. We are proud to hold a clientele from all over the world that are extremely satisfied with our performance. We possess an experienced team that delivers state-of-art products with a quick turnaround time. Moreover, our products are cost-efficient. “Carbon nanotubes” is one of our popular products with very high demand in the market. Since its applications lie in vivid fields, researchers are inclined towards it. We provide product customization for this product. We develop the product by the catalytic chemical vapor deposition method. We offer the CNT’s powder in 1, 5, 10, 25 grams or as per the requirements of our retails clients. We also give special price for the bulk requirement. We provide the product in dispersed as well as powdered form. We also provide the functional groups of the CNTs. Reach out to us from the contact page to know more about the product and to place orders.
3 other products in the same category: