Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes
• Extremely durable yet flexible material
• Extremely conductive to electricity
• Excellent conductor of thermal energy
• Extremely lightweight with a higher aspect ratio
• Ideal for replacement of conventional semiconductors and silicon components in electronics
Specification of Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes
Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes (MWCNTs) is nothing but multiple graphene layers rolled up into hollow concentric tubes. It is a one-dimensional by-product of graphene and an allotrope of carbon with sp2-hybridized carbon bonds. The single walled carbon nanotubes (SWCNT) is a single layer of graphene sheet rolled up to form a tube-like structure. The difference between SWCNT and Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes is that MWCNT has multiple layers of walls combined. A variant of the same is double-walled carbon nanotubes which have only two walls. However, the MWCNTs can have approximately 3 to 20 or more, whereas its diameter is nearly 30 nm, which is much more than the typical SWCNT. Typically, Chemical vapor deposition (CVD) is the method to obtain the product. However, MWCNT is available mainly in powder form.
It has excellent thermal and electrical resistivity than the single walled carbon nanotubes and double-walled carbon nanotubes. Besides, there are more possibilities of defects in nanotubes structures due to the reoccurring walls. The exterior walls of Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes can be customizable. It can be formed from the functionalized groups such as hydroxides, carboxylic acids, or amines.
Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes are easy to produce in higher quantities and are simple to purify than the other forms of carbon nanotubes. Therefore, it is usually cheaper than SWCNT and DWCNT. Although comparatively, it has almost the same capacity in performance, it is usually most useful in making composites of different kinds such as nylon, ceramics, plastics, polymers, and much more.
The product available at our company is a high-quality product at a relatively low and affordable cost. It is blackish grey with a purity of 99%. We offer the number of layers from 4 to 8 and its diameter from 5 to 20 nanometer. It comes at a variable pack size from which the clients can choose. Typically, the product is in powder form; however, we also sell it in disperse form if the client demands. We also sell the solvents and surfactants that the clients may require for the experiments.
Properties of Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes
• Electrical Conduction – Electrically, MWCNT is highly conductive. It acts as a conductor or, in many cases, acts as a semiconductor.
• Thermal Conductivity – The Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes exhibit excellent thermal conductivity. At room temperature, the thermal conductivity of MWCNT is approximately 0.35 W/mK.
• Tensile Strength – The product exhibits exceptional tensile strength of 0.15 tpa. Studies prove that it can take weights about 60 to 80 times more of its size.
• Optical Transparency – On a single layer of CNT, it appears to be optically transparent. This can be useful in applications such as carbon fiber coatings.
• Stiffness – It exhibits excellent stiffness. Researches prove that Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes can be stiffer than steel.
• Toughness – Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes are one of the most rigid materials. It is tougher than diamond and yet so flexible to use.
• Morphology – The product has a very high aspect ratio. Recent studies show that MWCNT can have an aspect ratio of 2500:1
Applications of Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes
• Conductive polymers composites – The product has a flexible application of combining its properties with non-conducting polymers. This increases the strength as well as makes them semiconductive or conductive material. Since most polymers are lightweight and the product itself is light, the composite becomes a strong and effective by-product. It can be useful for various applications such as conductive plastics, ceramics, and much more.
• Battery Cathodes – MWCNT works effectively as battery cathodes for rechargeable batteries. The charging rate of the battery is faster, and that of draining is comparatively lower. This makes it easier to manufacture batteries that give better performance. Similarly, it is also useful for solar cells and batteries a well.
• Structural Composites – Since the product makes composites stronger, it is useful in manufacturing and developing various composites required in construction, furniture, automobile parts, safety gears, and much more.
• Filtration and purification – One of the renowned applications of carbon nanotubes is that of purification and filtration. Often manufacturers use the MWCNTs in water filters and purification machines or plants. The structure of the product restricts the various kinds of impurities in the water. However, the water molecules travel through it, thus giving clean water.
• Conductive inks – Conductive inks have proven to have great potential in many applications. From screen printing to designing circuit boards on a non-conductive base, it has many great applications.
• Conductive Coatings – The product suits best for prosthetic parts in the field of biomedical. It is useful in anti-fouling coatings for automobiles and ships.
• Wearable gadgets – With new trends in technology, there is a notable reduction in gadgets size. This is possible because of the replacement of capacitors and transistors by chips and CNTs.
• Textiles and Fabrics – MWCNT is useful in many of the applications in the textile industry. A composition of nylon and carbon nanotubes makes a sustainable fabric. Moreover, it helps make armors and bulletproof vests.
Safety Measures of Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes
• Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes are a carbon product and can be lethal if it enters the body through wrong mediums. While it is useful for many medical applications, it can prove dangerous if it reaches the system through ingestion or inhalation.
• Researchers should make sure to wear gloves, goggles, masks, and PPE kits while handling the product. It should also take care that the working area should have proper ventilation and lights.
• What to do when researchers are exposed to the product directly? There are rare chances of exposing oneself to the product if the safety gear is on correctly. However, if the client accidentally encounters the product, he/ she should follow the instructions below:
• If the client inhales the product, immediately move out to open air space and breathe briskly. Focus on exhaling briskly. Then rush to the hospital to get treatment. Neglecting medical aid may lead to grievous diseases like cancer, asthma, etc.
• If the client ingests the product by mistake, it must wash their mouth with clean water and remove the product as much as possible. After this, seek medical advice to ensure that the product flushes out of the system as soon as possible.
• If the product encounters the eyes, rush to wash the eyes with clean and cool water. Make sure there is no residue product on the hands. Seek medical aid if necessary.
• While disposing of the product, researchers should follow the guidelines adorned by the government.
• While cleaning the spilled product, researchers must use a wet or damp cloth to avoid scattering the product.
• Please note that the product is for industrial or research and development purposes only. We condemn abusing the product.
• The product can prove fatal hence we advise keeping it out of reach of children below 13. If necessary, children are performing experiments on the product under expert supervision only.
Why Choose Us?
We are one of the leading companies of its kind in the chemical industry. We thrive on excellence and take pride that we provide what we promise. At Shilpa enterprises, we design, manufacture, and sell products required for research and development purposes and applications. We have an ISO 9001:2008 certification for maintaining the high-class quality of products that we sell. We perform rigorous testing on the Multi Walled Carbon Nanotubes to keep and deliver high-quality products. Our team consists of experts and professionals having 10+ years of experience, and thus we certainly meet the client’s requirements. Moreover, we provide the facility of product customization, which is also available at quite reasonable and affordable prices.