Single Walled Carbon Nanotubes
• Excellent conductors of electricity
• Versatility makes SWCNT's metallic or semiconductors even
• Excellent for miniaturizing electronic components for nanotechnology development
• Efficient conductors of thermal energy
• Extremely strong yet flexible
• Excessively lightweight with a higher aspect ratio
• Packing Size: 1gram to 25gm (Retail), 1kg and more (Bulk)
Single walled carbon nanotubes (SWCNT) have chemically derived from graphene, an allotrope of carbon. It is a one-dimensional material due to its high aspect ratio. The SWCNT is a one atom thick sheet of graphene that looks like a tube. There are various methods to produce the Single walled carbon nanotubes; however, the Catalytic chemical vapor deposition (CCVD) method is one of the popular techniques. We use the same to produce this product. It is one of the popular types of nanotubes, and it possesses a 0 to 2 eV band gap.
At the core, the single walled carbon nanotubes have sp2 hybrid bonds, and the diameter ranges from 0.7 and 10 nm. Ideally, the diameter is less than or equal to 2 nm. Typically, the product has two configurations - zigzag and armchair.
• Zigzag configuration – It has a graphene-like structure that changes path at a 60-degree angle that alternates in a zigzag pattern on every next step of the bond.
• Armchair configuration – The armchair configuration is similar to the zigzag configuration, the only difference being that the structure changes the path twice. That means there are two turns to the right and left on every four steps, while that of the zigzag was only one.
We offer single-walled carbon nanotubes in powder as well as in dispersion form. Since we are the product manufacturers and sellers, we also customize the product according to the client's requirements if the order is in bulk. The functionalized groups of the single walled carbon nanotubes are also available on demand. If the researcher wishes to disperse the product in aqueous solvents, it must opt for the functionalized groups.
Properties of Single Walled Carbon Nanotubes
• Strength – Since the SWCNTs have sp2 bonding between the atoms, it exhibits remarkably high strength. It has a strength of 48,000 kN·m·kg−1 that is more than that of diamond and steel.
• Conductivity – It has a current-carrying capacity of 4 × 109 A/cm2, which is 1000 times more than copper, a highly conductive material. However, it acts as semiconductors in many applications.
• Thermal Resistance – It has high heat resistance. It is greater than 3000 W/m.k, making it suitable for many gadgets that need high thermal resistivity.
• Mass – It is one of the lightest know materials that exhibit remarkable strength. It has a maximum mass density of 1.6 g cm−3.
• Length – So far, the length to which a carbon nanotube is grown is 1/2 meter or 550mm. Therefore, it helps applications that require the conductive or insulate material to have a continuous bond.
• Toxicity – Researches prove that single walled carbon nanotubes are non-toxic to the human body. The material is inert and thus does not react with the human body. However, it can prove to be harmful if one ingests or inhales it.
Applications of Single Walled Carbon Nanotubes
• Additive Agents – The combination of single walled carbon nanotubes with non-conducting agents such as polymers, plastics, nylon, ceramics, etc., creates materials that act as semiconductors or exhibits exceptional strength depending on the type of material. Moreover, it improves the stability, thermal resistivity, electrical conductivity, heat conductivity of the material.
• Automobile Hardware Components – Since SWCNT improves the material's strength with composition, it helps make various hardware components of automobiles like seats, dashboards, riser handlebars, cranks, forks, seat posts, stems, and aero bars.
• Sports Equipment – Skis, baseball bats, ice hockey sticks, surfboards, hunting arrows, etc., are usually composites of carbon nanotubes.
• Textile Industry – It is a reliable and versatile product. Its composition with fabrics creates a strong material that is sustainable and strong and stain-resistant. Therefore, it is helpful in creating body armors and vehicle armors, woven fabrics, etc.
• Electronic Equipment – Materials with a composition of SWCNT have high electrical conductivity and uses in PCBs, capacitors, batteries, cells, solar batteries, and cells. It also acts as a heat-resisting agent and is suitable in smartphones, smartwatches, and various other gadgets that need compact space but high usage of minimum components.
• Sensors And Membranes – It helps make biochemical sensors and membranes with extraordinary properties.
• Water Filtration And Air Purification – It has a dense structure. When a water filtration device uses carbon nanotubes as a filter method, results prove that it also kills the bacteria and filters the water. Similarly, in air purifiers, the minute particles are purified, killing most of the bacteria and releasing fresh and healthy air to breathe.
• Medical Applications – Since it is non-toxic to human cells, it proves effective in recovery and regeneration. It helps develop coatings for prosthetic parts, making them strong and keeping their weight light, target drug delivery, cell regeneration, cancer treatment, vascular stents, DNA modification, etc.
How to use Single Walled Carbon Nanotubes?
Dispersing the single walled carbon nanotubes is simple; however, the researcher must take care of the ingredients' proportions.
• Take the desired amount of product in a beaker according to the need of the experiment.
• The powder is not soluble in water; therefore, use solutions - solvent with the surfactant such that it is compatible with the product. Usually, chemically active solutions are helpful for this purpose.
• While mixing the solvent and surfactant, ensure that the solution is below the critical micelle concentration or the latter.
• Then add the powder to the solution and use an ultrasonic probe to mix it. Do not stir or shake the components as they may break. The ultrasonic probe effectively mixes all the ingredients. Monitor the time while doing this activity as it affects the length of the nanotubes. The above process results in producing bundles of SWCNTs. If the researchers want to break the bundles, sonication is recommendable. The centrifuge method is another method that can be useful.
Safety Measures of Single Walled Carbon Nanotubes
Frequent exposure to Graphite, graphene, or any other allotropes of carbon is lethal to human health. Since the researchers are always around the product, regular checkups at timely intervals are necessary.
The researchers must enter the lab with all necessary safety gear. That means that the researchers must have on their PPE kits, gloves, masks, face shields, and goggles while entering the research area.
The operational area or labs should have proper lighting and ventilation.
The experiment platform must have a cover that does not let the product spill directly on the surface, and even if the product spills, it is easy to clean.
Do not inhale, eat, or bring the product too close to body parts to let the product enter the body. If in case it does enter the body, follow the instructions below.
• On exposure to eyes, splash clean and cold water into the eyes, gently pat dry with a soft towel, and wait for the irritation to stop. Do not briskly rub the eyes.
• If the researcher accidentally eats the product or the product enters the mouth, immediately gargle with clean water and try to remove any residue product from the mouth. Do not drink water as the product may enter the stomach.
• If the researcher inhales the product, immediately rush to clean and open-air, exhale, and inhale briskly.
• The researchers should seek medical help as soon as possible once the first aid instructions are performed.
• The product might cause skin irritation if it encounters bare skin. In such instances, wash hands thoroughly with water and soap.
• Researchers should follow the safety norms of the government to dispose of the remains of the experiment safely.
Why Choose Us?
Shilpa Enterprises is a leading firm in the chemical industry with ISO 9001:2008 certification for maintaining its up-to-date top-notch quality and services. We have a productive & professional team with over ten years of experience and can understand and deliver the client's requirements. Moreover, quality being one of our essential criteria, we perform regressive testing on the products. Since we are the manufacturers and sellers of the available products at our site, we can provide them at a reasonably low cost. We offer a vivid range of industrial as well as research-grade single walled carbon nanotubes. We also make sure that the clients receive what they ask for in time.